Following the release of her latest book, Marketing in the Round, I sat down with award-winning marketer Gini Dietrich to discuss the new push for businesses to break down organizational silos and adopt a “round” approach to marketing operations. In this podcast, Gini explains what’s going on in the marketing world today that convinced her it was a good idea to write this book, steps to develop a “round” marketing process, and shares specific applications for this approach for all kinds of businesses.
Our conversation was recorded over Skype and, due to sound quality issues, had to be edited significantly. The meat and potatoes are solid, though, and so I encourage you to have a listen.
Listen here: Podcast with Gini Dietrich: Marketing in the Round
Here’s a breakdown of the conversation for your listening pleasure:
- 1:24 — What’s going on in the marketing world today that convinced you it was a good idea to write this book?
- 2:35 — What is Marketing in the Round all about?
- 3:30 — What are some of the dangers for marketers operating in silos?
- 5:13 — How should marketers go about the complex process of breaking down silos?
- 6:41 — Are marketers resisting this move towards a round approach to marketing or are they moving forward without a struggle?
- 7:23 — Applicable steps (via case study) for marketers currently going through this process.
- 9:28 — Does marketing in the round apply to specialized agencies that focus on one service offering?
- 10:50 — How does a consumer (B2B or B2C) benefit from a round marketing program?
- 11:38 — What is the core message of your book?
What do you think? Are you working to adopt a “round” approach to marketing operations? What challenges do you see with this transition? Have you experienced any recent successes?